How to Apply
Have you selected the right account for your needs? Great! The next step is easy: applying.
Here is what you'll need to apply
1. One valid primary piece of government issued identification, with photograph and signature, for example:
- Driver's license
- Military ID Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- National ID or Voters ID
2. One secondary piece of identification with or without signature and/or photograph, for example
- A second piece of primary identification
- Any other piece of identification (e.g employer, school)
- Birth certificate
- Tax Identification Card (if Jamaican Driver’s License is used as the Primary ID than the local tax ID cannot be used)
- Credit Card or Debit Card from a licensed financial institution bearing your name.
- A report from a credit bureau, used by the Bank
3. Tax Identification Information
- Local Residents – Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN)
- Foreign persons – Tax ID for country of residence
4. Proof of address (one of the following):
- Recent Utility Bill
- Rent or Property Tax Receipt or a copy of a lease if a tenant
- Statement of account from a licensed financial institution
5. Employment letter which details the following:
- Name and address of employer
- Occupation/Job Title
- Employment status (Full Time, Part Time, Contract, Consultant)
- Employment tenure
- Any other information that is relevant.
Names, addresses, telephone numbers and occupation of two referees. N.B. Immediate family members and persons living at the same address may not be used.
- Established BNSJ customers for 2 years or more, the status of whose account must be active.
- Justices of the Peace
- Reputable current or previous supplier/customer or last employer, known to the branch (applicable to self-employed or un-employed applicants only)
- Police Officers (rank of Inspector or above)
- Licensed & Regulated Financial Institutions (domiciled in Jamaica)
- Minister of Religion
- Medical Doctors
- University Lectures/School Principals
- Reputable individuals known personally for at least 2 years and:
- Is engaged in verifiable employment or enrolled in a Tertiary Institution; or
- If unemployed or not enrolled at a Tertiary Institution, is personally known to a senior member of staff at supervisory or management level for two (2) years or more.
For non-resident customers:
- A letter of reference from a bank that will be providing funds for the new account and has known the customer for at least 2 years, or An up-to-date bank statement that confirms the funding for the account.
- A notarized reference letter from a reputable professional.
Also, be sure to read the Personal Financial Services Agreement [PDF: 360 kb]
If you have any questions, a Scotiabank representative would be pleased to help you. Learn more